Wednesday, 11 March 2009

Mussel Chowder with Safron

The SAS boys are largely finished and so there are none staying here this week. Plus, Richard (my B&B companion) finished last week, so I'm all on my own! Well, not quite because Richard's replacement is somebody I know - I used to work with Ellen at Barclays. She's staying at a different B&B, so not a regular companion, but we had dinner together Monday evening. Tredegar Arms; I had sausage & mash, which arrived with nothing else but sausage and mash, not even a tomato garnish; disappointing. Ellen had Hunters Chicken (chicken with a rich gravy and covered in cheese); it looked greasy and horrid but she politely said she enjoyed it.

Last night I took myself and my laptop to the nearest pub (Rhiwderin Arms) and had a nice steak & ale pie with peas and new potatoes. And made a start on my book.

Tonight I'm at the Ruperra Arms. Nice atmosphere - quiet music Simply Red followed by Rod Stewart Sings Songs From The American Songbook. Food has been lovely: mussel chowder with safron to begin, then braised ox cheek with herb mash (very nice rich gravy, but cheek was a little lacking in taste). I'm using an unsecured wi-fi connection. I don't know who it belongs to (maybe a neighbour!)

I'm looking forward to being home tomorrow evening (yes, Thursday). And looking forward to duck :) Weekends so far have disappeared too fast. It'll be nice to gain the extra day.

No comments:

Post a Comment