Wednesday, 2 September 2009

The Crown at Celtic Manor

Crap day. Will nobody make a constructive contribution that eases us to delivering this project? I'm looking for an evening that delivers some degree of comfort and sympathy. I try The Crown at Celtic Manor and it delivers in spades.

The Celtic Manor is Newport's top star hotel (and resort). Towering above the M4 like a smiling Colditz, it's unmissable for anybody travelling the South Wales autoroute. Home to the Ryder Cup 2010, its golf courses are a prime feature (but, at a reputed £200 per round, I've not sampled any of them).

The Crown at Whitebrook is Wales's only Michelin-starred restaurant (only 40 mins from Newport, but I've not been there). TC@CM is its junior sister, but a well-developed sister nonetheless.

CM is an impressive location with its huge underground car park, imposing reception area and wide range of eateries. TC@CM is modern in decor yet still welcoming (photo).

Imaginative canapes were enjoyed in a comfie archair in the lounge/bar area. At table, a tantalising amuse bouche began the proceedings. I had chosen the 4-course weekday (Tue-Thurs) menu at £28. It proved to offer value for money, running from the Confit Salmon, Horseradish and Cucumber Tagliatelle, through Chicken with Sweet Potato and Smoked Jus, then Goat's Cheese, Honey, Pickled Walnut and Green Apple (photo), finishing with Chocolate Fondant, Roast Pineapple and Coconut Ice Cream.

Service was attentive but not over-powering Coffee was accompanied by a fab selection of sweet items (photo).

All-in-all, my crap day is forgotten. Thank you TC@CM.

No comments:

Post a Comment