Dinner straight from work at Junction 28. Hidden round the back of Tredegar Arms and the church. An old (ex-) railway station. Thanks Dr Beeching. It's a well respected eatery.
Plenty of free parking this early evening, but I know the large car park gets full later in the evening. It's a large place, yet it still feels welcoming and intimate.
Sat in the whicker chair of the lounge, I relax and allow the atmosphere to waft over me... music, decor, staff attire... I'm in my childhood, enjoying a visit to an expensive restaurant.
Frank Sinatra croons, Richard Clayderman tinkles, The Carpenters harmonise. The waiters are for the most part men in white shirts, black waistcoat and trousers, slight midriff bulge, (fake?) italian accent, aged 30+. But, there's no prawn cocktail nor black forest gateau on the menu. It's a good, varied selection of meats and fish in European style.
I skip starters (still feeling quesy over the broken cam belt) and select monkfish with king prawns and basil ravioli. The combination of prawn, basil and pasta is very good, leaving the monkfish as a poor sibling. I skip desert and request a coffee. This is delivered with the offer of cream. The subsequent, unprompted offer to refill my cup is welcome.
It's cheaper before 7pm, but not by much - the prix fix menu is 16.50 instead of 19.50.
All-in-all a pleasantly relaxing end to the working day and start to the evening. A welcome trip back to my early teenage years. Now, have I saved enough for that Sinclair ZX81 yet?
Wednesday, 6 May 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment